Brewing Loose Leaf Tea - A Coffeewiz Homework assignment!



I was sent on my first Coffeewiz homework assignment - to brew my own cup of loose leaf tea. I am a coffee lover first, but I enjoy a good cup of tea, too. I am going to be trying alot of the products that we carry and capturing video (and our staff, will be trying it too!). I look forward to bringing you behind the scenes here at Coffeewiz, and bringing the staff who makes all the magic happen to YOU.

After watching Yingci brew loose leaf green tea in a Chinese Tea Cup, and putting up the video on the YouTube, I was ready to see if I could do it, too. I never really brewed loose leaf tea from scratch. I've only had green tea if it was brewed in a the Keurig machine, if it was in a tea bag, or at a sushi restaurant (I LOVE sushi!). Well I was going to find out!

I sampled a loose green tea, Jaf Green Tea Gunpowder Tea using a mesh tea ball infuser.

I filled the mesh tea ball infuser about a third full, because I knew that gunpowder tea would swell, and unravel into whole green tea leaves. This tea wasn't a shredded variety.

Now, I enjoy a strong brew and a more woody green flavor to my teas. No sugar. I find that its often watered down at the sushi restaurant, and I'm not sure how it's prepared.

The tea brewing process was fun - it wasn't hard at all, and I felt that the experience of brewing whole leaf tea myself actually made it more enjoyable.

I really enjoyed not only drinking this tea, with its rich green flavor, but I really liked seeing the whole green tea leaves when I poured it out in a plate from the mesh tea ball infuser.

AND, I will tell you that after shooting this video last night, and then going out for sushi dinner, I think I'm going to turn into a tea snob...My tea tasted so much better!

So I give it a definite thumbs up, and am sitting here with another cup of brewed tea at my desk. So, maybe that homework just did turn me into a whole leaf tea convert! :)

- Vickie, Coffeewiz.com Social Media Coordinator

P.S. One of our facebook fans on the Coffeewiz Facebook Fan Page inspired the experiment (Thank you Jason Tucker!)

1 comments:

ASFx said...


That does look pretty fun. I think i'll give it a shot and see how it goes. I might end up with double the amount of gadgets on my kitchen counter if I start brewing loose leaf tea all sorts of different ways, but it'll be worth it. As it is now, for my coffee i've already got an Aeropress, french press, Keurig machine, Mypressi Twist, coffeevac canister, Baratza grinder, Hario Skerton hand grinder, and a few other things for my coffee :)



Post a Comment